Sunday, May 22

San Antonio Get Away

Disclaimer: Get ready for a long post and a lot of pictures.

This past weekend Brent and I took a much needed little trip to San Antonio. We haven't been able to go anywhere since we got married 5 months ago so we jumped at the first opportunity we had.

Our first day in the city we went exploring. As we drove around looking for a parking place, we realized our first reason of why we could never live in San Antonio: No Free Parking Anywhere. This may be the case in most main cities but it was really frustrating. Even to go to the mall, there was no free parking. So we just parked back at our hotel and walked it. The Riverwalk was pretty, but a tad smelly.




At the little Riverwalk restaurant we ate at, a duck was attacking the girl next to us and kept begging for food. So we took a picture with the annoying creature.


We went and visited the Alamo. For some reason I never got the memo that it was just right in the middle of the city, surrounded by big buildings. And that it isn't very big. I didn't even realize it was there until Brent pointed it out to me.
I had to tell the guy taking the picture to make sure the Alamo was in the background because when he was about to take it I could tell the Alamo wasn't even in the picture.... I thought it was self-explanatory.
Day 2 was all about Sea World. Brent and I were pumped. The weather was perfectly overcast and the weren't many people since we went during the week. All we cared about was getting to pet dolphins. So that was the very first thing we did when that park opened and the very last thing we did before leaving. We beat everyone there and got to feed them (we may or may not have spent more money feeding the dolphins than ourselves that day...ha ha)




We went and saw the Sea Lion, Dolphin, and Shamu shows. They are a lot different then I remembered. In the dolphin show my favorites were the beluga whales. They added a lot of diver tricks and swimmers dressed like strange animals and what not which was interesting and in the Shamu show there was this super weird video that was supposed to be touching and inspiring I guess.. It was strange. They seem to do less with the whales and dolphins then they used to which was lame. But it was still a lot of fun.

Waiting for the Sea Lion show to start


Some of the weird diver people


The little baby whale was adorable.
Here's some other pictures from Sea World at the other little exhibits:
Brent's stare down with the shark

The precious beluga whale 

We got to see a sea lion fight.
On the way home we witnessed a crazy car wreck. The car directly in front of us swerved his car to get out of the way of something in the road and lost control of his car, went up onto the median wall and flipped his car. Thankfully Brent was paying attention and we weren't caught up in that mess. What was it in the road you may be asking yourself? It was a flattened card board box. If he wasn't following so closely to the car in front of him he could've realized it and just drove over it like we did. It was insane to watch it all happen though. Something you see in a movie. 

Day 3: We were planning on floating the New Brunfels River (Brent was really looking forward to it) but the weather was not on our side. It was still overcast and windy and raining off and on. Therefore there was no way floating down a cold river would have been enjoyable. But we found something to occupy our day. A wildlife ranch. Our weekend was full of animals haha. We went on one of those drive through safari things that you can feed the animals. Sadly this place didn't have giraffes that came up to the car but it was still a lot of fun. 



We drove through the Safari twice since the first time we went through not one zebra would come up to the car. There was a cute little baby zebra and 3 adults and they were all too far inland to feed. The second time we went through a zebra was on the road at the car in front of us. We were so excited. The zebra then came over to us. I thought it was going to be such a sweetheart....but it wasn't. I fed it and then when I went to reach for more food (the bag was in my lap) the zebra reached in and grabbed the bag. I then reached out to get it back and the zebra pulled and ripped the bag causing nasty pellet food to fly everywhere inside of our car, and mostly all over me. Brent was too concerned thinking that I was going to get bit to think to get this chaos on video. It would've been hilarious. The car in front of us stopped and took pictures and were so nice to email them to us. It was quite the experience having a food fight with a zebra. 

Before the food fight

If you look closely you can see the Zebra has the white food bag in its mouth. It then continued to just eat the bag..

Crazy Zebra
So yes, that was our weekend in a nutshell. It was so much fun to get away and just be with the husband. I'm ready to plan our next vacation :)

[If I ever have figure out how to get our videos to upload I'll put some up later.]


1 comment: