Monday, March 21

Such a Smokey Sunday

Last night ended with a bang. Well there weren't any sound effects other than the constant fire alarm that was going off while we were watching The Amazing Race. Now I know you are all going to think we were idiots to not look into this alarm that was going off in another apartment for probably the entire one hour show, but one thing to note when living in this apartment complex is that there are alarms (from apartments or cars) that go off very often for most of the afternoon and into the evening. However for some odd reason, the alarms go off longer and occur more often on Sundays (which is awesome when I am taking my long Sunday nap). So yes, this is why Brent and I didn't really pay attention to this obnoxious and continuous alarm.
Little did we know there was a small fire in the apartment directly below ours and the little Asian family who lives there were not at home. We were informed of this right at the end of Amazing Race by a loud knock at the door and some guy telling us that the entire building was being evacuated. Right after hearing this I looked around the apartment asking Brent if we should grab the things in our place that were the most valuable to us. (Honestly I didn't really know what would make my list of things to grab ha ha). I felt too rushed to think of the stuff in our apartment. Brent was not too concerned so we just left. Evacuating the building is a great way to meet the neighbors! Well I wouldn't say we really met anyone other than just talking and asking if they knew what was going on in the apartment.
These heroes came to the rescue!
To Brent's dismay, there was not a little firefighting Dalmatian to save the day
I was thrilled they had arrived.
What was the cause of all this ruckus you ask? A pot that was left cooking on the stove. I would love to see what the pot looked like after. The amount of smoke that came out of that apartment was impressive. And as we watched the cloud of smoke go straight up, Brent responds with "man, I wish I would've shut our bedroom windows".  Thankfully our apartment didn't smell like smoke after that whole ordeal. That would've been awful to go to sleep in.

So yes, that was just one of the many little adventures that we have had so far in our apartment complex. And I'm sure it won't be our last. We still have 9 more months in our contract.

I shall leave you with the safety tip of the day: Turn off the stove when you are done cooking. 
Thank you and good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment